Unfortunately, most homeowners don’t think of furnace maintenance or other HVAC services until the peak season arrives. Like most other HVAC equipment, furnaces have a lifespan and occasionally require furnace repair, but they often give us clues regarding impending breakdowns. Here are 5 warning signs that you may be in need of furnace repair:
1. Your unit is 15 years old or older. The average lifespan for a furnace is between 15 and 20 years. Instead of waiting for your furnace to croak, be proactive and have it replaced in the off season in order to avoid expensive emergency repairs.
2. Your utility bills are rising. Lack of preventative HVAC services and age are the two primary reasons your furnace is causing your utility bills to skyrocket. A replacement furnace will pay for itself in energy savings.
3. Your furnace must be frequently adjusted. Do you find yourself constantly getting up to adjust the thermostat ? Your furnace is more than likely unevenly distributing heat throughout your home. This is a strong indicator that your unit is failing. A professional diagnostic checkup should be able to determine if this is the cause.
4. It’s making strange noises. Are you hearing frequent squeals, bangs, rattles, pops, and creaks? Frequent noises, coupled with a constantly blowing fan, are sure signs it’s time for furnace repair or replacement.
5. Your burner is yellow instead of blue. This is very serious! It’s an extremely strong sign that your furnace has developed a carbon monoxide leak. You need to call a professional repairman immediately.
Don’t spend another winter in the company of a faulty furnace. If your furnace is displaying any of the aforementioned symptoms, give us a call at AJR Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Inc. A freezing night in January is not the time to attempt to determine why your furnace quit working. Make a new furnace high on your priority list this holiday season. Contact us today for a free estimate!